Professor Keith I Tomlins
+44 (0)1634 88 3460
Emeritus Professor of Food Science. Over 35 years' experience in international project management, research and consultancy. Expertise in post-harvest aspects of agricultural commodities, mainly Africa based. Specialist in postharvest production and losses/waste management. Expertise in sensory evaluation and consumer acceptance. Consultant in cargo inspection and warehouse management. Experience in Africa, Caribbean, Pacific, Asia, Europe and North America during more than 130 short- and long-term international assignments. Author of 100 international peer-reviewed papers and other publications.
Professor Keith Tomlins has been working with the Natural Resources Institute (and its predecessors) since 1982 and joined the University of Greenwich in 1996.
Over 25 years' experience in international project management, research and consultancy. He is leader of the Natural Resources Institute Programme for Root and Tuber Crops in Development. He has expertise in post-harvest aspects of agricultural commodities. Specialist in sensory evaluation and consumer acceptability, root and tuber crops and street vended foods (including traditional foods). Expert witness in cargo inspection and warehouse management. Experience in over 30 countries in Africa, Caribbean, Pacific, Asia, Europe and North America during more than 150 short- and long-term assignments. Author of 100 publications including 42 in international peer-reviewed papers and two books. His recent inaugural lecture was on the topic of 'Let Them Eat Cake: Food Quality and Acceptance in Africa' (http://www2.gre.ac.uk/about/news/articles/2013/a2627) and the lecture can be viewed at www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcoSOKNUiIM
Member of the University of Greenwich Research Ethics Committee (Faculty and University levels)
Two current students and two completions
External Examiner – two students (University of Kent, University of Queensland)
Internal Examiner – two students
- J.M. Kindossi, O.O.D. Akpo-Djenontin, V.B. Anihouvi, N. Akissoé, A.L Declemy, G. Vieira-Dalodé, K. Tomlins, D. Pallet and J.D. Hounhouigan (2013) Sensory Evaluation and Consumer Acceptability of an African Fish Based Flavouring Agent and Taste Enhancer, Indian Journal Of Applied Research, 3, 62-66
- Ganiyat O. Fetuga., Keith Tomlins., Aurelie Bechoff., Folake O. Henshaw., Michael A. Idowu and Andrew Westby (2013) A Survey of Traditional Processing of Sweet Potato Flour for Amala, Consumption Pattern of Sweet Potato Amala and Awareness of Orange-Fleshed Sweet Potato (OFSP) in South West Nigeria, Journal of Food, Agriculture & Environment, 11 (3&4). pp. 67-71. ISSN:1459-0255
- Meenakshi, J.V., Banerji, A., Manyong, Victor, Tomlins, Keith, Mittala, Nitya and Hamukwala, Priscilla (2012) Using a discrete choice experiment to elicit the demand for a nutritious food: Willingness-to-pay for orange maize in rural Zambia. Journal of Health Economics, 31 (1). pp. 62-71. ISSN 0167-6296 (doi:10.1016/j.jhealeco.2012.01.002)
- Tomlins, K. I., Chowdhury, S., Owori, C., Menya, G., Bechoff, A, Rees, D., Ball, A. M., Young, S. and Westby, A. (2012). Consumer acceptance of sweet potato with varying carotenoid contents, Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, submitted
- Tomlins, Keith, Owori, Constance, Bechoff, Aurelie, Menya, Geoffrey and Westby, Andrew (2012) Relationship among the carotenoid content, dry matter content and sensory attributes of sweet potato. Food Chemistry, 131 (1). pp. 14-21. ISSN 0308-8146 (doi:10.1016/j.foodchem.2011.07.072)
- Bechoff, Aurélie, Poulaert, Marie, Tomlins, Keith I., Westby, Andrew, Menya, Geoffrey, Young, Stephen and Dhuique-Mayer, Claudie (2011) Retention and bioaccessibility of β-carotene in blended foods containing orange-fleshed sweet potato flour. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 59 (18). pp. 10373-10380. ISSN 0021-8561 (Print), 1520-5118 (Online) (doi:10.1021/jf201205y) Item not available online.
- Bechoff, Aurélie, Westby, Andrew, Menya, Geoffrey and Tomlins, Keith I. (2011) Effect of pretreatments for retaining total carotenoids in dried and stored orange-fleshed-sweet potato chips. Journal of Food Quality, 34 (4). pp. 259-267. ISSN 1745-4557 (online) (doi:10.1111/j.1745-4557.2011.00391.x) Item not available online.
- Chowdhury, Shyamal, Meenakshi, J.V., Tomlins, Keith I. and Owori, Constance (2011) Are consumers in developing countries willing to pay more for micronutrient-dense biofortified foods? Evidence from a field experiment in Uganda. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 93 (1). pp. 83-97. ISSN 0002-9092 (Print), 1467-8276 (Online) (doi:10.1093/ajae/aaq121) Item not available online.
- Bechoff, Aurélie, Tomlins, Keith, Dhuique-Mayer, Claudie, Dove, Richard and Westby, Andrew (2011) On-farm evaluation of the impact of drying and storage on the carotenoid content of orange-fleshed sweet potato (Ipomea batata Lam.). International Journal of Food Science & Technology, 46 (1). pp. 52-60. ISSN 0950-5423 (Print), 1365-2621 (Online) (doi:10.1111/j.1365-2621.2010.02450.x)
- Bechoff, Aurélie, Westby, Andrew, Owori, Constance, Menya, Geoffrey, Dhuique-Mayer, Claudie, Dufour, Dominique and Tomlins, Keith (2010) Effect of drying and storage on the degradation of total carotenoids in orange-fleshed sweetpotato cultivars. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 90 (4). pp. 622-629. ISSN 0022-5142 (Print), 1097-0010 (Online) (doi:10.1002/jsfa.3859)
- Meenakshi, J.V., Banerji, A., Manyong, V., Tomlins, K., Hamukwala, P., Zulu, R. and Mungoma. C. (2010) Consumer Acceptance of Provitamin A Orange Maize in Rural Zambia. HarvestPlus Working Paper No 4, International Food Policy Research Institute, USA (http://www.ifpri.org/book-743/ourwork/program/harvestplus)
- Bechoff, Aurélie, Dhuique-Mayer, Claudie, Dornier, Manuel, Tomlins, Keith I., Boulanger, Renaud, Dufour, Dominique and Westby, Andrew (2010) Relationship between the kinetics of β-carotene degradation and formation of norisoprenoids in the storage of dried sweet potato chips. Food Chemistry, 121 (2). pp. 348-357. ISSN 0308-8146 (doi:10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.12.035) Item not available online.
- Obadina, A.O., Oyewole, O.B., Sanni, L.O., Tomlins, K.I. and Westby, A. (2010) Improvement of the hygienic quality of wet 'fufu' produced in South West Nigeria. Food Control, 21 (5). pp. 639-643. ISSN 0956-7135 (doi:10.1016/j.foodcont.2009.09.009)
- Obadina, A.O., Oyewole, O.B., Sanni, L.O., Tomlins, K.I. and Westby, A. (2008) Identification of hazards and critical control points (CCP) for cassava fufu processing in South-West Nigeria. Food Control, 19 (1). pp. 22-26. ISSN 0956-7135 (doi:10.1016/j.foodcont.2007.01.002)
- Tomlins, Keith, Rukuni, Tunga, Mutungamiri, Angeline, Mandeya, Sheila and Swetman, Anthony (2007) Effect of roasting time and storage time on sensory attributes and consumer acceptability of peanut butters in southern Africa. Tropical Science, 47 (4). pp. 165-182. ISSN 0041-3291 (doi:10.1002/ts.210) Item not available online.
- Tomlins, Keith, Ndunguru, Gabriel, Kimenya, F., Ngendello, Theresia, Rwiza, Elizabeth, Amour, Rahila, van Oirschot, Quirien E.A. and Westby, Andrew (2007) On-farm evaluation of methods for storing fresh sweet potato roots in East Africa. Tropical Science, 47 (4). pp. 197-210. ISSN 0041-3291 (doi: 10.1002/ts.214)
- Johnson, P-N. T., Adebayo, K., Ottah Atikpo, M., Essel, K., Ellis, W.O., Awudza. J. and Tomlins, K. I. (2007) Institutional lessons from the partnership to improve food safety management and livelihoods of street food vendors and consumers in Ghana. Journal of Sustainable Development, 4, 39-44.
- Tomlins, Keith, Ndunguru, Gabriel, Stambul, Kimboka, Joshua, Neema, Ngendello, Theresia, Rwiza, Elizabeth, Amour, Rahila, Ramadhani, Bundala, Kapande, Asia and Westby, Andrew (2007) Sensory evaluation and consumer acceptability of pale-fleshed and orange-fleshed sweetpotato by school children and mothers with preschool children. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 87 (13). pp. 2436-2446. ISSN 0022-5142 (doi:10.1002/jsfa.2931) Item not available online.
- Tomlins, Keith, Manful, John, Gayin, Joseph, Kudjawu, Bernice and Tamakloe, Iris (2007) Study of sensory evaluation, consumer acceptability, affordability and market price of rice. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 87 (8). pp. 1564-1575. ISSN 0022-5142 (doi:10.1002/jsfa.2889) Item not available online.
- Tomlins, Keith, Sanni, Lateef, Oyewole, Olusola B., Dipeolu, Adewale, Ayinde, Idris, Adebayo, Kolawole and Westby, Andrew (2007) Consumer acceptability and sensory evaluation of a fermented cassava product (Nigerian fufu). Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 87 (10). pp. 1949-1956. ISSN 0022-5142 (doi:10.1002/jsfa.2941)
- Obadina, A.O., Oyewole, O.B, Sanni, L.O. and Tomlins, K.I. (2006) Bio-preservative activities of Lactobacillus plantarum strains in fermenting Casssava 'fufu', African Journal of Biotechnology, 5, 620-623
- Moreno-Leguizamon, Carlos and Tomlins, Keith (2006) Empowerment and impact through informal or street food vending: a crop post-harvest project in Africa and South Asia. Tropical Agriculture Association Newsletter, 26 (2). pp. 8-10. Item not available online.
- Carter, R.M., Yan, Y. and Tomlins, Keith (2006) Digital imaging based classification and authentication of granular food products. Measurement Science and Technology, 17 (2). pp. 235-240. ISSN 0957-0233 (doi:10.1088/0957-0233/17/2/002) Item not available online.
- Tomlins, K. I., Manful, J. T., Larwer, P. and Hammond, L. (2005). Urban consumer preferences and sensory evaluation of locally produced and imported rice in West Africa, Food Quality and Preference, 16, 79 – 89.
- Sanni, L.O., Oyewole, O. B., Dipeolu, A. O., Adebayo, K., Ayinde, I. A., White, J. L., Tomlins, K. I. and Westby, A. (2004) Effect of Traditional Variations in Processing and Storage on the Quality of Nigerian Fufu , Journal of Food Technology, 2, 225-231.
- Tomlins, K. I., Rwiza, E., Nyango, A., Amour, R., Ngendello, T., Kapinga, R., Rees, D. and Jolliffe, F. (2004) The use of sensory evaluation and consumer preference for the selection of sweetpotato cultivars in East Africa, Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 84, 791 - 799.
- van Oirschot, Q., Rees, D., Tomlins, K. I., Kapinga, R., Rwiza, E., Amour, R., Ngendello, T., Ndunguru., G and Westby. A. (2002). Reaching the full potential of sweet potatoes in East Africa, New Agriculturist, internet publication (http://www.new-agri.co.uk/02-6/focuson/focuson5.html).
- Tomlins, K. I., Ndunguru, G. T., Rwiza, E. and Westby, A. (2002). Influence of pre-harvest curing and mechanical injury on the quality and shelf life of sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas (L) Lam) in East Africa, Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology, 77, 399-403.
- Tomlins, K. I., Johnson, P. N., Obeng-Aseidu, P., Myhara, B. and Greenhalgh, P. (2002). Enhancing product quality: Street food in Ghana: a source of income, but not without its hazards, PHAction News, 5, (http://www.iita.org/info/phnews5/content.htm).
- Tomlins, K. I., Ndunguru, G., Rwiza, E. and Westby, A. (2000). Post-harvest handling and transport of sweet potatoes and their influence on quality in Tanzania, Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology, 75, 586-590.
- Tomlins, K. I. and Mashingaidze, A. (1997). Influence of withering, including leaf handling, on the manufacturing and quality of black teas - a review, Food Chemistry, 60, 573-580.
- Baker, D. M., Tomlins, K. I and Gay C. (1994). Survey of Ghanaian cocoa farmer fermentation practices and their influence on cocoa flavour, Food Chemistry, 51, 425-431.
- Tomlins, K. I. and Gay, C. (1994). Prediction of quality and origin of black tea and pine resin samples from chromatographic and sensory information: evaluation of neural networks, Food Chemistry, 50, 157-165.
- Tomlins, K. I., Baker, D. M and Daplyn, P. (1993). Effect of fermentation and drying practices on the chemical and physical profiles of Ghana cocoa, Food Chemistry, 46, 257-263.
- Tomlins, K. I., Baker, D. M, McDowell, I. J. (1990). HPLC method for the analysis of organic acids, sugars, and alcohol in extracts of fermenting cocoa beans, Chromatographia, 29 - 557-561.
- Bradburn, N., Coker, R. D., Jewers, K and Tomlins, K. I. (1990). Evaluation of the ability of different concentrations of aqueous acetone, aqueous methanol and aqueous acetone:methanol (1:1) to extract aflatoxin from naturally contaminated maize, Chromatographia, 29, 435-440.
- Dell, M. P. K., Grzskowiak, R., Haswell, S. J., Jewers, K., Coker, R. D., Medlock, V. F. P., Tomlins, K. I., Roch, O. G. (1990). Analytical Methodology for the determination of aflatoxin in peanut butter: Part A: The comparison of HPTLC, ELISA and HPLC methods, Analyst, 115, 1435-1439.
- Tomlins, K. I., Jewers, K and Coker, R. D. (1989). Evaluation of non-polar bonded-phases for the clean-up of maize extracts prior to aflatoxin assay by HPTLC, Chromatographia, 27, 67-70.
- Tomlins, K. I., Jewers, K., Coker, R. D., Nagler, M. J. (1989). A bi-directional HPTLC method for the detection of low levels of aflatoxin in maize extracts, Chromatographia, 27, 49-52.
- Bradburn, N., Jewers, K., Jones, B. D and Tomlins, K. I. (1989). Rapid method for the clean-up of extracts of cottonseed prior to aflatoxin determination by bi-directional HPTLC, Chromatographia, 28, 541-544.
- Jewers, K., Coker, R. D., Jones, B. D., Cornelius, J., Nagler, M. J., Bradburn, N., Tomlins, K. I., Medlock, V., Dell, P., Blunden, G., Roch, O. G and Sharkey, A. J. (1989). Methodological developments in the sampling of foods and feeds for mycotoxin analysis, Journal of Applied Bacteriology Symposium Supplement, 105S-116S.
- Coker, R. D, Jewers, K., Tomlins, K. I and Blunden, G. (1988). Evaluation of instrumentation used for high performance thin-layer chromatography of aflatoxins, Chromatographia, 25, 875-880.
- Ray, R.C.and Tomlins, K. I. (2010) Sweet Potato: Post Harvest Aspects in Food, Feed and Industry, Nova Science Publishers, Inc. New York, 316pp, ISBN978-1-60876-343-6
- Tomlins, K., Johnson, P-N. T. and Tortoe, C. (2005) Street-catering: A guide for Environmental Health Officers, NGO's, Street food vendors and Food Caterers, col-DB Publishers, Accra, Ghana, 30pp, ISBN: 9900-0-3399-0
- Bainbridge, Z., Tomlins, K., Wellings, K. and Westby, A. (1996) Methods for assessing the quality characteristics of non-grain starch staples: Part 1 to 4, Natural Resources Institute: Chatham. ISBN: 0-85954-400-1. 215pp.
- President of the International Society of Tropical Root Crops (www.istrc.org).
- International Advisory Board Member of the Journal of Natural Sciences, Engineering and Technology (Prof. Chryss F. I. Onwuka, Editor - In – Chief)
- External consultant for CWA International Ltd (http://www.cwa.uk.com/food_keyp.htm)